Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cats Stuff

I am a cat lover. I have two cats that share our home. Notice that I did not say that I own two cats; they are the type of animals that take offense with the idea of being owned. Cats are easy to live with. You do not need a lot of cats stuff to keep them happy.

Most of my friends and family members know that I am a cat lover and as a result the cats stuff that I have received over the years is starting to accumulate in our home. Some of the cats stuff is fun and tasteful and other things are not, but I have been keeping all the items that I have received. My husband feels that I need to start sorting through the cats stuff and dispose of some of it and display the rest. To help me with this project he bought me a corner curio.

The corner curio stands six feet tall. The back is mirrored and the front is convex glass. There are three glass shelves and a display light inside. The curio fits in the corner of the dining area perfectly. I decided that the cats stuff that I would display in the curio would be the statues that I have collected since I was a child. I started gathering the statues from around the house and from storage containers. I was very surprised to see the number of cat statues I have. Some are over 40 years old and others have been purchased recently. They are made from all different types of materials. I have several hand blown glass cats. One ceramic cat is very special to me because my mother painted it in a ceramics class that she was taking. That particular statue is of a mother cat carrying a baby kitten in her mouth. My mother did a very nice job of painting the eyes. I also have statues that are carved out of wood as well as stone. When my husband first brought home the curio cabinet I thought that I would have room to expand my collection through the coming years, but I was surprised that the cats stuff that I already have filled it completely. There was cats stuff left over that I needed to return to the areas where they were originally displayed.

When my husband saw that the curio was filled and there was left over cats stuff, he suggested that I no longer purchase any cat things for myself. Considering I have so many things given to me I think I will take his advice. Over the years I have bought cat themed souvenirs when we travel, I will need to decide what my next theme will be.

No comments: